Saturday, January 2, 2016

Happy New Year 2016

If you're reading this, I thank you for your interest in what's happening here on the blog.

I've decided it's time to be more serious about posting and sharing the photographic fun that goes on in my life. When I'm not creating photographs, I'm interacting with photographers and reading about how to improve my techniques. You might be interested in hearing some of that.

Since the advent of Facebook and other internet sharing sites, there have been many days when it felt ridiculous to continue in this chosen profession. We are inundated with a plethora of images - EVERYWHERE! Some are spectacular and most are not. All seem to get the same "applause" and one wonders whether there is any reason to work at excellence in the craft.

I am one of the lucky ones who, nearing retirement, won't have to worry about the future of Professional Studio Photography as a sole source of income. Unlike many of my colleagues, I am able to take the types of work I enjoy most and don't have the overhead of a Studio at this time. It's quite a wonderful feeling to create work for one's own enjoyment and hope that others enjoy it as well. The best way for me to continue will be to create, share and let the work speak for itself. I also hope that by sharing, I will help others who are interested in learning more about their craft.

Currently I have a piece in the Members Exhibition at the Rochester Contemporary Art Gallery which continues through January 17th. Here are a couple of photos from the Opening Reception and the Artist's Talks. I wasn't able to make the reception but was told everyone had a grand time.





  

My piece is the Harley Wheel there in the corner. Thanks to the RoCo staff for taking photographs during the event.

I decided not to give a "talk" this year and will rectify that when submitting my work next time. I participated in the talks last year and, although I find it difficult to talk about my work, I feel it's important to share thoughts about the process. I was very thankful there were people who cared to hear what I had to say.  Here's a photo of my talk at last year's event. The black and white piece next to my head was mine and it sold during the exhibition.




As much as I enjoy creating art for exhibition, I enjoy creating portraits for clients equally as much. It's wonderful to work with people who understand the importance of quality portraiture that will be handed down from generation to generation. Portraits will become treasured heirlooms for your family. I treat each one as a work of art. I'll share some of my portrait work here as the year goes on.

Now I'm on to the next exhibit at Image City Gallery. Please read the next installment which will be posted this week to get details about the Opening Reception. Perhaps you can visit both galleries to see the work of the many talented artists while they are up.

It's a great way to start the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DeLapa Photography Newsletter