Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Honors from the PPSNYS Print Judges

I've just returned from the PPSNYS/PPANJ Northeast Regional Conference in Albany, NY, where I entered prints to be judged for our PPA Affiliated Competition. All prints entered, which score 80 or higher, receive a Merit from the Professional Photographers of America and are automatically accepted into the next International Print Exhibit. Prints which score lower, or any new prints, can be judged during the PPA Competition which is held annually. Each entrant is allowed to send 4 prints and a panel of accredited judges decide which prints will hang in the Exhibition.
http://www.ppa.com/articles/326/International-Print-Competition-FAQs.php

I am happy to report that my print, titled "Barn at Sunset", received a score of 96 and was honored with a Judge's Choice and a Professional Photographers Society of New York State Court of Honor. www.ppsnys.com

You can click on the photo to see it larger.


It was suggested that I give some details about this barn which I've passed by many times in my travels around town. Last November I challenged myself to create an artistic photograph during such a barren time of year and I thought of the barn. It is starting to deteriorate and I wanted to capture it before it's gone.

Located on Clarkson-Parma Townline Road north of Ridge Road, it's not far from my home. I captured the image during sunset to catch the glow. I loved the weeds in the foreground and made sure to enhance them in the finished image.

The final image was just what I'd hoped, but I never expected it to receive such high honors.

I am thrilled!

4 comments:

  1. yay mommy congratulations!
    YAYAYAY when I'm better we have to celebrate!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly where the barn is because I live in Hamlin & pass it many times on my way to & from other locations to the east of my home. However, I have never seen it portrayed so beautifully & won't ever see it with the same "eyes" again. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Morgan! :-) I can't wait to celebrate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay,

    Thank you so much for taking the time to write. Your comment is just what every artist hopes to hear.

    I appreciate your kind words!

    ReplyDelete

DeLapa Photography Newsletter