Saturday, August 21, 2010

Finger Lakes Friends

Each year the Finger Lakes Section of PPSNYS gathers for their annual Family Picnic. I've been a member of this great organization for over 20 years and in that time we've held the picnic in different places.
The first I ever attended was at a private park owned by Goulds Pumps in Seneca Falls, NY. One of our members at the time worked there and he arranged for us to use it. My daughter was not even a year old and I remember how much fun we had and how many families. It was a different era.
After that, we moved to a community park on Keuka Lake, took a boat trip on Skaneateles Lake, picnicked at members homes, a state park in Hamlin and one in Geneva and for the last few years we've been privileged to have Craig and Linda Hutchings, Finger Lakes members, host us at the campground where they have a seasonal spot.
As soon as everyone arrived, we got ready for the long awaited Horseshoe "tournament". I don't know who won but I do know we had a great time - win or lose.



Someone picked up my camera and took a cute photo of PPSNYS Historian, Denise Weldon. She plays a mean game of horseshoes. (not)

The highlight of dinner was a great deep fried turkey, cooked by our very own chef Craig!

It was absolutely delicious. Each member brought a dish to pass and I'm always amazed at the variety of great recipes people come up with.

This year the attendance was small but the enthusiasm was immense. Steve even brought his his sweet companion to meet us.



I guess I'm a little nostalgic for the days when a social gathering with colleagues was an important part of life. Years ago our families brought their kids to our picnics which meant games, prizes, swimming and laughter. Those children are grown now and our members with families seem to have less time for taking a leisurely afternoon to socialize. Times are definitely changing... but that's what the long time members told me when I arrived at my first picnic. Times are constantly changing.

I know I couldn't do without my internet, but I'd really miss the face to face encounters with friends to hug, who understand the life of the lone photographer and always have great conversation to share.

I don't think I'll ever want to give that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DeLapa Photography Newsletter